Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #4- Homemade Ice Cream

For Mother's Day last year my hubby and son gave me an ice cream maker and juicer attachments for my Kitchenaid Mixer.  For the last year I have been getting grief for not having enough homemade ice cream.  The problem is, I haven't found a recipe that is outstanding without eggs in it.  I really hate the idea of putting in raw eggs, and even more hate the idea of cooking a custard.  The second one is mostly because I usually make ice cream spur-of the-moment, its not usually a planned menu item.

This pin gave the idea for ice cream with 2 ingredients, and neither one of them is eggs, so I had to try it.  I hate pins without links, so I almost didn't even pin it, but then I decided I wanted to try it bad enough to pin it anyway.

Here is the original pin


Soda Pop Ice Cream:  easy and affordable!  You choose your favorite soda (2 liters), add a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, throw it in an ice cream maker, turn it on and 30 minutes later you have a creamy blend of deliciousness. The variations are endless, like Sunkist for a dreamsicle taste or Rootbeer float. This is seriously fool proof.



We tried root beer first, and it tasted like a float.  Delicious!  Next we tried the orange soda, it did taste close to an orange cream-cicle.  I definitely liked the root beer better, but the rest of my family said they liked them both.





The consistency is not exactly like regular homemade ice cream, but it is really good.  When we made the orange soda ice cream it didn't get thick enough for my liking, so I stuck it in the freezer over night.






Alright, so I didn't think about the carbonation when I put it in.  We all had a good laugh.  My mother-in-law suggested that I let the soda go flat before I make the ice cream.  She said it might help it to thicken a little more too, so we will for sure try that next time!

It looks different than this if you dish it right after you make it.  This picture is after it was frozen over night and then scooped out.  I like it better this way, again, my family doesn't have an opinion either way!

 Enjoy!

Heidi


1 comment:

  1. I haven't had homemade ice cream for a little while. That sounds so yummy right now! Thanks so much for entering this as well in the Project Pinterest Challenge. Best of luck to you!
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete