Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #1- Oven Potato Wedges

I have been having tons of fun and been able to do quite a few Pinterest projects!  Sorry, I am going to be doing a bunch of posts at once, so bear with me!  Here goes #1...

I made Oven Potato Wedges... sort of.  I am absolutely terrible about following a recipe exactly.  A recipe is "more guidelines than actual rules" (sorry, I couldn't help it!) to me and so I used the idea and made my own.

Here is the original pin.

Oven Potato Wedges


And now here is my version.



2 pounds red potatoes, cut into small wedges
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 
*All of those measurements are very approximate.  My family devours potatoes, so I always make more than 2 lbs.*

I would love to hear if any of you make your own improvements on my version!

And since potatoes aren't a great main dish (don't tell my hubby!), I made some BBQ Chicken Sandwiches in the slow cooker to go with the potatoes.


This recipe was simple and I loved that I didn't have to think about dinner, it was cooking by the time we ate lunch!


3 lbs uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup ketchup
1 small onion (optional)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all of the ingredients, except chicken.  Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour mixture on top.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.  Take out the bay leaf.  Use 2 forks to shred the chicken.  Stir the chicken and sauce together.  Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes with the lid off to cook off some of the juices.  At this point I tasted it and it wasn't overwhelming flavor, so I added some BBQ sauce.  It made a world of difference, it turned out amazing!  I didn't measure how much I put in, I just added and tasted, and repeated that until it was what I wanted!  See, I never can follow a recipe exactly!


I served the chicken on toasted buns with ranch and lettuce.  It was good without the ranch if you want to watch the calories.


Enjoy!

Heidi

1 comment:

  1. Oh those sound so good!!! Yum! What a fun side dish. Thanks so much for entering this into the Project Pinterest Challenge! Best of luck to you!
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete